Appendix 3 – Privacy Notice and Consent Form
PRIVACY NOTICE – Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement Award
For the information of parents/guardians of students who will receive a Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA) award in 2018
It is required by data protection law that before schools commence processing of any personal data a school must first bring a privacy notice on how the student’s personal data will be processed to the attention of parents/guardians. This privacy notice relates to those students who have undertaken Junior Cycle at either Level 3 or Level 2 of the National Qualifications Framework. Junior Cycle Level 3 includes exams set by the State Examinations Commission (SEC), where the provisional results are provided to schools and students in the September following the sitting of the State examinations. Junior Cycle Level 2 Learning Programmes are designed for students with particular special educational needs and is broadly aligned to Level 2 of the National Framework for Qualifications (NFQ). In some instances students will undertake a combination of a Level 2 and Level 3 programme.
This document sets out the information in relation to how students’ Junior Cycle assessment data will be used to produce the Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA). The JCPA has replaced the Junior Certificate award.
Where student details are currently maintained on the Department’s Post-Primary Online Database (PPOD2) the JCPA will be produced by schools via PPOD. Where student details are not held on PPOD (e.g. special schools) the JCPA will be produced via the Junior Cycle Assessment Database (JCAD3).
Schools will be enabled to record additional assessment student data on PPOD or JCAD for the purpose of producing a Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA) for each of their students who completes the Junior Cycle.
This approach enables
- schools to record on PPOD or JCAD the descriptors awarded in Classroom-Based Assessments in subjects and short courses and also reflect achievement in Priority Learning Units (PLUs) for students with special educational needs.
- the State Examinations Commission (SEC) to provide state examinations final results electronically to the Department of Education and Skills for upload to PPOD and JCAD and association of these results with each student.
- the Department of Education and Skills to provide the JCPAs electronically to schools/centres of education for each student.
- Schools/centres of education to complete the ‘other areas of learning’ section of the JCPA for each student and deliver the award to students. The ‘other areas of learning’ section of the JCPA allows the school/centre
- the data to be anonymised once JCPAs are produced and used in statistical analysis. No identifiable individual data is used by the Department
It should be noted that only a small number of staff within the Department of Education & Skills has access to the personal data and then solely to provide technical support to your school/centre of education when it is using PPOD or JCAD.
Student data as set out below will not be shared with anyone else other than another post-primary school in which the student enrols.
Pursuant to Section 3 and Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts, you may access your personal data and request a copy of your data held on PPOD by contacting your school, or if you are a former student by contacting the Department of Education & Skills
Under data protection law you may object to the processing of your data or seek to have the data corrected
More detail on use of personal data by the Department is contained in the FAQ on P- POD available on https://www.education.ie/en/The-Department/Data- Protection/FAQ.html
The Department of Education & Skills Data Controller for PPOD is the Principal Officer in the Parents, Learners and Database Section within the Department who can be contacted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Data Protection Officer for the Department may be contacted by e-mailing email@example.com
2 Please see separate Privacy Notice on general use of P-POD at https://www.education.ie/en/Schools- Colleges/Services/Returns/Post-Primary-Online-Database-P-POD-Project/Data-Protection.html
3 JCAD is the DES database developed to facilitate the production by Special Schools and Centres of Education of the JCPA
of education to report on other learning experiences and events that the student has participated in outside the formal timetabled curriculum. The data entered at school level for ‘other areas of learning’ will not be stored on the Department’s database.
e. following production of the JCPA for each student the school/centre of education to retain a copy of the full JCPA for each student.
List of post-primary student personal data4 recorded by post-primary schools on PPOD or JCAD for the purpose of producing the Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA).
Sensitive Personal Data for some students with a special education need
- Priority Learning Unit descriptor
- Priority Learning Unit medium – Irish/English
- Priority Learning Unit outcome
Written consent should be sought from the parents/guardians of students with special educational needs (see template below).
For each subject where an examination held by the State Examinations Commission was taken
- Level taken in the final examination
- Outcome of Classroom-Based Assessments 1 and 2(5)
- Predicted medium through which final examination taken Irish/English
- Overall grade awarded by State Examinations Commission
- Annotation of result to indicate a subject was assessed except for a particular element e.g. aural is
For each short course taken
- Level of Learning Programme – 2 or 3
- Medium Irish/English
- Outcome of Classroom- Based Assessment
In addition the following data provide by the State Examinations Commission will be printed on your JCPA
- Forename and Surname – as provided to the State Examination Commission
- Date of Birth – to aid identification whether there are more than two students with the same name
- State examination candidate number – to assist with any follow up query with State Examinations
Information on other personal data stored outside of PPOD and used by your school in producing your JCPA is available in your school’s Data Protection Policy a copy of which may be obtained from your school. Information on the all other personal data of students collected and processed by schools using PPOD is available in the Fair Processing Note for P-POD copies of which are available at www.education.ie
4 Details on retention periods, legal basis for collection by the Department and the school are contained in the Fair Processing Notice for P-POD
5 Classroom-Based Assessments are part of the new specifications for English, Business Studies and Science.
CONSENT FORM for the recording of assessment data relating to the Level 2 Learning Programmes for students with particular special educational needs.
NAME OF SCHOOL _______________________________________________________ ADDRESS OF SCHOOL_______________________________________________________ NAME OF STUDENT _________________________________________________________ Date of Birth of Student ________________________________________________________
I consent to details of the outcomes of any Level 2 Learning Programmes undertaken by the above named student being recorded on PPOD or JCAD in order that the above school may include this information on the student’s Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA).
________________________________ _____________________ PRINT NAME DATE
Please return completed forms to the student’s school
This form should be retained by the school for the duration of the student’s enrolment and made available for inspection by an officer of the Department or the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, if required.